Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Love POTUS and FLOTUS Style...


I will admit that I am smitten with the overwhelming love that I feel emanating from our President and First Lady. It was hard not to squeal like a teenager while watching the Inaugural Ball with my daughter when President Obama introduced his wife in such high loving tones. I was breathless at the sight of them dancing  and truly enjoying each moment of this occasion together. There is something in the sound of his voice when he says her name that makes me pay attention.

The evening was flawless as was she. I consider her to be one of the most elegant women of our time. And I believe with all of my heart that love contributes to her beauty in many ways. Love is a refining agent, an enhancer of all that is inside of a woman and it leaves us with a glow that challenges the sun on its brightest day. 

While watching the exchange between the Obama’s, my mind stilled to hear the answer of my life long question: Do men really fall in love? I have honestly wondered this simply because it seems so easy for a man to walk away from a relationship or simply shut down in the middle of one with no communication or look elsewhere for more. I have wondered if their hearts beat the same as ours at the mere anticipation of seeing us and if they spend sleepless nights wondering what will become of their lives with us. Sure, it’s in the movies but is it real.

I have known a lot of guys, friends, cousins, Uncles and of course my own Dad but seldom have I seen the kind of powerful love that I see transpire between the first couple.
I’m sure that what we are witnessing is part of a process of time, effort and growth. I am not delusional about what it takes but from my experience and vantage point, this kind of love is rare. 

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention in my past experiences or maybe I was caught up in my own heart’s weaknesses and needs to notice it but from now on, I am going to make it my business to recognize such love in the future.

I want to know what it looks like, so that I know what to respond to, what to expect and what to appreciate. I’m sure that it takes on many forms and many languages depending upon the person but my prayer is that I recognize when the language that is spoken is delightfully, exclusively…just for me. I don’t want to go running after it. I don’t want to conjure it up from my imagination. I simply want to know when it has arrived.

We may not spin around on the dance floor with millions of eyes on us. We may not live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and hold grand titles, that is not what I’m looking for. It’s the expressions of partnership, trust and emotions that can come from no other person on earth but one, that interests me. It’s the respect that comes from weathering life’s storms together and keeping each other afloat that I’m looking forward to.

It’s the knowing, yes the knowing… that I am his First Lady for life.

1 comment:

  1. I too believe that the love that emanates from this couple is genuine. I enjoyed reading this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete